The objectives of the Project were to enhance container handling capacity by constructing a new container terminal and providing new handling facilities at the port, with the larger goal of facilitating trade and economic development in Namibia and neighboring countries in Southern Africa.
The objectives of the Preparatory Study were:
- to analyze and evaluate the feasibility of a Walvis Bay Port container terminal development project in view of technology, economics, and finance;
- to review and propose alternative plans for the project in view of environmental and social aspects.
PADECO was responsible for all tasks of the study including:
- review of existing conditions;
- demand forecast and development strategy;
- feasibility analysis of the plan; and
- examination of contingent alternatives for the project.